Privacy Notice (How we use pupil information)
The categories of pupil information that we collect and hold include:
- Personal information (such as name and address)
- Characteristics (such as ethnicity (voluntary), language and nationality.
- Attendance information (such as sessions attended, number of absences and absence reasons)
- Assessment information (pupil attainment)
- Relevant medical information
- Relevant behavioural information
Why we collect and use this information
We use the pupil data:
- to support pupil learning
- to monitor and report on pupil progress
- to provide appropriate pastoral care
- to comply with the law regarding data sharing
The lawful basis on which we use this information
We collect and use pupil information to ensure that we have the contractual information necessary when your child becomes a pupil at our school and to meet our legal obligations regarding child protection.
Storing pupil data
We hold pupil data for 25 years from date of birth.
Who we share pupil information such as attainment with
We routinely share pupil information with:
- schools that the pupil’s attend after leaving us
- the Department for Education (DfE) and Independent Schools Inspectorate (ISI)
We do not share information about our pupils with anyone without consent unless the law and our policies allow us to do so.
Data collection requirements:
To find out more about the data collection requirements placed on us by the Department for Education (e.g. the school census) go to https://www.gov.uk/education/data-collection-and-censuses-for-schools.
Their robust processes would consider:
- who is requesting the data
- the purpose for which it is required
- the level and sensitivity of data requested: and
- the arrangements in place to store and handle the data
To be granted access to pupil information, organisations must comply with strict terms and conditions covering the confidentiality and handling of the data, security arrangements and retention and use of the data.
For more information about the department’s data sharing process, please visit: https://www.gov.uk/data-protection-how-we-collect-and-share-research-data
For information about which organisations the department has provided pupil information, (and for which project), please visit the following website: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/national-pupil-database-requests-received
To contact DfE: https://www.gov.uk/contact-dfe
Requesting access to your personal data
Under data protection legislation, parents and pupils have the right to request access to information about them that we hold. To make a request for your personal information, or be given access to your child’s educational record, please contact Mrs Lennard in the school office in the first instance.
You also have the right to:
- object to processing of personal data that is likely to cause, or is causing, damage or distress
- prevent processing for the purpose of direct marketing
- object to decisions being taken by automated means
- in certain circumstances, have inaccurate personal data rectified, blocked, erased or destroyed; and
- claim compensation for damages caused by a breach of the Data Protection regulations
If you have a concern about the way we are collecting or using your personal data, we request that you raise your concern with us in the first instance. Alternatively, you can contact the Information Commissioner’s Office at https://ico.org.uk/concerns/
If you would like to discuss anything in this privacy notice, please contact Mrs. Lennard who will pass on concerns to the relevant member of staff.